Outside Office Hours

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Rock Climbing for the first time in a long time...

On saturday I had the pleasure of finally going rock climbing. I went with a friend, a familiar rock climbing buddy, Jeff. Byron, who was doing it for the first time, also tagged along.

It was an awesome day on the rock.

Unfortunately I had a good party the night before so was not able to quite wake up in time to be there at 8 as we had planned. I felt quite embarrassed when I realised that they couldn't do much without me as they only had one harness between them. I only arrived around 9.30. I should have been more sensible, though I do think that if they had reminded of this important fact, I would have said stuff it to the sleep I was missing and pitched a jolly sight earlier... anyway...

We were at the main silver mine crag, where there are a number of moderate grade fairly high sport climbs. The grades range from 14 through to about 22, though there is on 26. My friends and I are at about 16.

The rock at Silvermine Cape Town is firm and quite rough, perfect for sport climbing, and the weather, although it threatned to rain, it was just empty threats.

We were able to get in about 3 climbs each. It is ages since I did something like that, and it sure did show. Whereas before I was comfortable climbing 16's, pushing 17, this time around my absolute limit was 16. I think we only climbed 16. We did try a 17 but failed.

The last climb I did was probably my favourite, I was up for leading a 16. It was awesome. I could not believe how much I have missed those kinds of experiences.

As for my buddies, Jeff did well, he seemed to take everything in his stride, and Byron did very well for a first time. I think his power to weight ratio is very good and so in spite of the fact that he did not use climbing shoes for the most part, he looked effortless on the rock. I do hope he can find the cash to purchase a harness and some shoes.

There were a number of other people on the rock on Saturday, throughout the day. They're always friendly and welcoming.

For more on the experience, see my other blog, audiblethoughts.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home